Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fifty Items

For the memorization assignment, I decided to commit to my memory palace the first 50 of the Rolling Stone Magazine's top 100 guitarists. I would like to point out that this is probably the worst list I have ever seen, and there are some pretty lame lists out there.

So, I have matched each fifty guitarists with fifty objects in my apartment. This took awhile, but when I finished I knew them all because each was associated with an object which fell in an order that I mapped throughout five rooms. It was quite a bit easier than I thought it would be.



So... Here they are FROM MEMORY.

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Duane Allman
3. B.B. King
4. Eric Clapton
5. Robert Johnson
6. Chuck Berry
7. Stevie Ray Vaughn
8. Ry Cooder
9. Jimmy Page
10. Keith Richards
11. Kirk Hammett
12. Kurt Cobain
13. Jerry Garcia
14. Jeff Beck
15. Santana
16. Johnny Ramone
17. Jack White
18. John Frusciante
19. Richard Thompson
20. James Burton
21. George Harrison
22. Mike Bloomfield
23. Warren Haynes
24. The Edge
25. Freddie King
26. Tom Morello
27. Mark Knopfler
28. Stephen Stills
29. Ron Asheton
30. Buddy Guy
31. Dick Dale
32. John Cipollina
33. Lee Ranaldo
34. Thurston Moore
35. John Fahey
36. Steve Cropper
37. Bo Diddley
38. Peter Green
39. Brian May
40. John Fogerty
41. Clarence White
42. Robert Fripp
43. Eddie Hazel
44. Scotty Moore
45. Frank Zappa
46. Les Paul
47. T. Bone Walker
48. Joe Perry
49. John McGlaughlin
50. Pete Townsend


And here is one of my favorites Buddy Guy who is associated with my bathroom countertop because it looks kind of like polka dots. I'm not sure what he is doing in this picture playing a Telecaster Deluxe. Whatever.

1 comment:

  1. "(Stone) Gossard and (Mike) McCready deserved to be on our 2003 "Greatest Guitarists" list. Permit me to admit it here: I screwed up." - David Fricke, editor, Rolling Stone magazine.

    In February 2007, Gossard and McCready were included together by Rolling Stone in its list of "The Top 20 New Guitar Gods" under the title of "four-armed monster."

    Way to go, RS.

    ReplyDelete