Monday, April 27, 2009

My happy plant.

As I have mentions before, I really like the beginning of Kane where he talks about the connections that reside just below the surface in the natural world. We cannot see them but they exist and thrive as the animals seemingly are in a tight bond with the earth. It is staggering at times and yet, can be seen in the simplest of ways.

For example, I have a plant that has been struggling through the winter. Not being particularly good with plants, I assumed it was my ability to care for it and not its environment. At one point I thought that the whole thing was dead, and didn't throw it away only because of a tiny amount of light green that barely rose to the surface of the leaves. Recently however it exploded. Interestingly, it hasn't been excessively sunny or warm. In fact during these spring days while it is snowing and I am grumbling, my plant is raising its leaves high, straining in delight against the soil and the white pot.

My plant knows that it is spring. Maybe it can hear the birds singing in the morning, or feel summer in the few rays of sun, or maybe the earth whispered quietly to it and told it of the warm weather to come, the sunny days and soft spoken nights. Maybe it heard the earth and found the will, the perpetual will of the earth in its 'diurnal course.' Always... constantly...

Snow is in the forecast for tomorrow. Seventy percent chance they say. It is night time. The sun is warming the other side of the globe. Yet my plant is stretching over there, anticipating the weather that is coming, always hoping, always dreaming. It is a reassurance to me as I try not to get bogged down with finals.

Better weather is coming! Life and breath and dream will return once more to this cold valley. With two weeks and lots of work left, the situation can look bleak. But I trust my plant. It knows.



This is definitely not what my plant looks like, but a quick google image search of 'happy plant' gave me this.

No comments:

Post a Comment